Anointing the Sick
"He summoned the Twelve and began to send them out two by two…They anointed with oil many who were sick and cured them." (Mark 6:7, 13)
The Sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick gives strength and support and can be administered to anyone struggling with an illness.
Who may receive?
The Sacrament of Anointing should be received when someone is:
- Preparing for surgery and, when during the course of recovery, their condition worsens
- Struggling with serious or chronic illness
- Coping with emotional illness
- Nearing the end of their life
Effects of the Sacrament
- It unites our suffering to the Passion of Christ. Our suffering, in a small way, becomes a participation in Jesus’ redemptive and saving suffering.
- It strengthens us and gives us peace to endure the inevitable suffering that comes with sickness and old age. We are far better witnesses to the power of God’s grace when we accept illness and our own possible death with peace.
- It can also help a person regain mental and physical health if this is God’s will for the person.