The sacrament of baptism ushers us into the divine life, cleanses us from sin, and initiates us as members of the Christian community. It is the foundation for the sacramental life.
"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded of you" (Matthew 28:19-20).
Baptism for Children (Infant to 6 years old)
To begin, Congratulations! We are honored to be a part of this amazing moment in your life! Infants and children up to six years of age are initiated into the Christian community and begin a life-long journey as a committed disciple of Christ through baptism. Parents wishing to have their infant or child baptized are required to complete Baptism preparation. We celebrate Baptisms on the first weekend of each month.
Baptism Preparation Classes and Upcoming Dates:
Classes are held every other month. The format is two sessions that last 1.5 hours each. Please note that baptisms do not happen during the Lenten season.
- Sunday, January 9th at 11am-Session 1 & Sunday, January 30th at 1pm-Session 2
- Sunday, April 24th at 1pm-Session 1 & Saturday, May 21st at 1pm-Session 2
When preparing for your child's Baptism, please be aware of a few requirements:
- At least one parent must be an active, registered parishioner of Our Lady of the Lake.
- Parents must attend a Baptism Preparation Class. Classes are held monthly and last an hour. Please contact the Parish Office for class dates and times.
- At least one Godparent must be an active and confirmed member of the Catholic Church within their parish. Godparents are making a lifetime commitment to aid the parents of the baptized child. They do this by teaching, modeling, and living the Catholic faith in their own lives.
Baptism for Children (7 to 17 years old)At the age of 7 children are considered to have reached "the age of reason." At this point, each child will need to begin a period of formal instruction before being welcomed into the Catholic Community at Easter. This process is referred to as the Rite of Initiation for Adults adapted for Children (RCIC). You can read more about RCIC.
Baptism for Adults (18 and Older)
Being baptized as an adult is an exciting process! Adults participate in our RCIA program: Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults. For more information about our RCIA program, please click here!